Live Oak School of Natural Healing
The Live Oak School of Natural Healing was started and is run by a nurse, Dawn Gates, RN; she believes that there is wisdom in both ancient teachings and modern science and created an herbal school that combines both.
The Live Oak School of Natural Healing offers individual classes but also offers Herbalist Certification and Master Herbalist Certification programs to people who want to be the best herbalist they can be. This school is perfect for the beginner to advanced student who wants to know how to heal people with herbs and natural healing based on ancient folk wisdom, Chinese Traditional Medicine (TCM), Ayurvedic, Native American and Unani.
She teaches most of its live classes in Orlando Florida. but does have an on-line or correspondence course for those people who want to take a quality herbal certification program who do not live in the area.
Students in the long distance program can chose to do an on-line course with e-groups, video conferencing and classes, or can choose to do a paper correspondence course where you receive the material in modules with assignments that need to be sent in. Students in the long distance benefit from the education platform which allows for one-to-one interaction similar to a live teaching environment. Also they can watch the video recordings anytime they have time just with a click on a link. Its the perfect combination of live interaction and convenience.
Meeting the needs of students: in person via live classroom or on-line via virtual classroom
The Live Oak School of Natural Healing was formed when some of my herbal students in Minnesota told me they wanted to keep learning from me even after I moved to Orlando, FL.
I designed the herbalist Certification programs to be "life-friendly" which means that I wanted it to be self-paced, and easy to follow for all of the students there who have busy lives. I also designed it so that the students can take it in modules that dove-tail (or fit) into one another so that they can take a section at a time based on their educational goals.
The school has three levels of certification: Lay Herbalist, Certified Herbalist, and Master Herbalist. Each of these programs fit into into the next higher level so if you start out at the Lay Herbalist level and later decide to become a Master Herbalist and treat clients all you will have
to do is take the next modules of classes.
Here is a link to a video that will give you an idea of what the online program is like. It gives a sample of a few of the classes and the quality of information you will receive. Just click on the link and it will take you to the online classroom. If you are using an IPad, you may have to download the WizIq app, and follow me in order to get access.
The symbolism behind our name
The live oak tree is the native oak of Florida and is a member of the white oak family of trees. The live oak is a strong oak tree that lives to be hundreds of years old, can withstand hurricane winds, and can grow to be very large and magnificent. The tree’s beauty, strength, and elegance made it the perfect symbol of the school. The oaks in the white oak tree family are used as medicine and have the ability to heal and tone the body when it needs it. White oak bark is a powerful medicine in Native American Lore and is highly regarded as not only a medicine but as a spiritual symbol. The tree in the picture was in the middle of a pasture in Ocala Florida, and was taken by one of my students. These trees provide shade, food, and medicine and are valuable resources.
The theory behind the school:Vitalism
Vitalism, as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is
Philosophy and Goals for our students
The main goal of the Live Oak School of Natural healing is to produce the best and most rounded herbalists as possible. It is my goal that they understand the chemical, holistic, historical, and spiritual side of each plant we study. My goal with this school is to have the Master Herbalists that go onto have successful herbal practices be able to understand the allopathic system enough to be able to look at research, talk to physicians, and work with other healthcare and holistic practitioners to get the best care for their clients. The schools goals are simple and set us apart from other programs. Our goals are:
1) The students will know the herbs, their Latin names, their chemical signature, history, contraindications, uses, dosing, formulations, the folklore and spiritual side of the plants.
2) The students will understand how the herbs work in the human body using modern anatomy, physiology and biochemistry a system at a time using modern bio-process' and be able to overlay it with ancient TCM, and Ayurvedic teachings.
3) The students will learn basic Western, Eclectic, Chinese, Ayurvedic methods of dis-ease recognition and treatment of imbalances using facial diagnosis, pulse testing, tongue and ear assessment techniques.
4) The students will understand allopathic diagnosis, how to look at lab results, understand holistic nutrition, and how to apply modern data to holistic therapies.
5) The students will know how to make their own herbal medicines, create a formulary, and how to create individual treatment plans (including herbs, nutrition, and lifestyle changes)for their family and clients.
6) The students will be able to start their own practice and treat clients upon completing the Herbalist and Master Herbalist certification programs.
7) The students will have a broad base of support within their peer group and with the education staff even after they complete the program.
After graduation my herbal students continue with me for as long as they like in my mentorship program. This program is unique in that my students can contact me at any time to go over a case study, ask a practice question or get confirmation on what they did to help a client. I do this because most of my students become more then just students, they become like family.
Students who wish to apprentice can as well in my clinic and for my long distance students I connect them with the AHG herbalists in their area so that they can get some hands-on= experience.
Check out my other websites:
my herbalist website with articles on healing, recipes and more
Mistressoftea.com- a website devoted to the art of creating and drinking tea. (in the works)